Wednesday, January 20, 2010

baby steps


pve design illustration "baby steps" on top of a box for giving
Why is it that we want to run before we can even crawl. I am reminded of this each day as each of us take steps to achieve our goals and dreams. The above illustration was done for this Momma who is full of pure style.

I simply glued the artwork on top of a thick box which was recycled (from the holidays) and inside enclosed one of my hand-knit baby hats for her little boy to grow into. I love babies and the joy they bring to the world.

One thing I have learned is that working to build my business, and to raise my family and keep my home running smoothly requires steps," baby steps" each day and a huge leap of faith to keep it all rolling.

These are just a few tips that my Mother taught me;
1. Know what you are serving for "supper." My Mother told me this when I brought my twins home from the hospital. I sort of scratched my head at that idea but it does make brilliant sense. Dinner time can be the most challenging part of the day and having a nice meal can make up for even the worst times.

"cry baby" - here he is sporting his hat.
(Mommy Blogger torture, ha ha)
2. "Never do what they can do for themselves" which my Mother told me when I was lugging my two year old around. They have legs and arms, teach them right away, get them on board with doing for themselves. Raise them to take care of themselves, they will fly out of the nest eventually and the better equiped they shall be.

3. Share tips with friends and never be afraid to ask for a little help! You would be surprised when you ask a friend for help, how flattered they will be. (this is the one I have the hardest time with!) I am working on this.

What sorts of steps do you take to make your day run a little smoother? Moms, Artists, Designers and parents can share wonderful tips, do you have any that you would like to pass on?
Leave a comment if you have some helpful steps?

23 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

What a nice gift Patricia, your illustration reminds me of my bronzed booties, that I had as a kid. Attached to a frame with a b & w picture.....aahhhhh,
Being new and having new life is a wonderful gift, to live and to watch! Thanks for sharing,
Leslie

Ms. Bright said...

Beyond precious! And also, what a great reminder!! You are such a thoughtful friend.

style chronicle said...

Such a sweet keepsake. You are always so thoughtful and kind!! Thinking of dinner in the morning is key to surviving, isn't it?

Emily said...

Ahh, how sweet! Baby, baby hat, and illustration. La, la, Love! And I love your mother's tips. Dinner is always a source of stress for me...a little planning does wonders. And I love her advice on having children do things for themselves. From making beds, picking up...a good lesson for them and a huge help for mommys! Thanks for such a sweet post Patricia!

Kwana said...

Your mom is so wise and what a sweet gift. Now I have to figure out dinner. Hmm...

Formerly known as Frau said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! Happy Wednesday!

Gwen Driscoll said...

Such a great gift and your Mother's words are that of wisdom.

My tip is to try and go over tomorrow's plan with everybody before we all go to bed for the night. Do you have everything you need, any special schedule arrangements, coordinating Mommy & Daddy's busy schedules, etc. It really helps things run more smoothly when you do it.

And, yes, my 9 year old is now in charge of basically everything in her room except doing laundry and what a liberating feeling! I can handle laundry but I threw the gauntlet on picking up toys, clothes, school papers and books up off the floor anymore. She's on her own and guess what, she's doing a great job!

Joyce said...

A beautiful gift and a treasure my friend.

Your mom is a wise woman. I wish I could share some words of wisdom, but I do forget about the baby steps and instead reach for the roller skates. Ouch...

I would love to come hang in your corner and snap away.
Have a golden day! xo

PS love what you did with the ribbon. smile...

Karena said...

These are precious Patricia!

BALLET NEWS said...

Patricia, it's the most perfect gift.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

When I once had a career in the testosterone propelled enviroment of finance, 2 tots, and a traveling husband the two things I did for my sanity were to put a load of of laundry in every morning before I stepped out the door and to double 2 different recipes one day a week(usually on Sundays)to freeze. I often still do the dinner step because teenagers are always "what's for dinner?" Wonderful Post!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

What a great gift and what great ideas. Your mom's advice on dinner is a good one. I am so much more content when I've got a plan and prep ahead of time...rather than trying to figure out what to do at bath/bedtime for my toddler when I am exhausted. (Which usually leads to the call to my husband to see if he'd mind take-out).

Your work is beautiful. I've been admiring it on all of the great blogs out there!

Also, I have a freezer stocked with healthy food for my daughter so mealtimes for her are a no brainer...and I feel good knowing she is getting balanced meals. I batch cook once a month or so.

Deidra said...

Beautiful gift!

Your mother gave you wise advice. I always get stuck on number one.

JMW said...

What a sweet gift - just lovely. And that little guy is so adorable (love that hat!). I guess one thing that I took to heart from other moms that has worked well for our family is create a healthy routine and stick to it (whenever possible). My kids thrive on routine, they know what to expect and how to prepare for it. It helps when trying to wind down each evening in preparation for bedtime.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great tips! and the beanie is so so cute! such a beautiful thought

sophiedahydesigns said...

Your post certainly hit home with me! I loved your Mother's "supper" advice, and need to remind myself of that when I get really busy, even though I am normally just feeding my husband and me now. I will keep "baby steps" and "leap of faith" in my mind. Very good advice!

Moments and Impressions said...

Thanks for the life lessons... I too have a very hard time asking for help. You are right - it does make you feel good when someone asks.

What a great keepsake for baby!

Debra said...

He is adorable in his hat! What a sweet gift and box to fill with baby treasures.
Wise words from your Mother. We taught our son to do his own laundry at 9! It doesn't hurt them. He's a heck of a good husband now!

Summer is a Verb said...

You are a packager extraordinaire Patricia. Let alone the swank inside...XXOO

Sandra said...

Your "momma" was one smart woman!! And that is such a good piece of advice about suppertime!! What a sweet thoughtful gift! xoxo

LindsB said...

That was such a sweet gift, Justin modeling the hat is so cute!

Love your words of advice too!

traci zeller designs said...

That is sooo sweet of you - and your illustration is (of course) beautiful!!

Traci
www.tracizeller.com/blog

deliciously organized said...

What a sweet gift and a lovely post. He looks adorable in his hat :)